Involved In An Accident? Here’s What To Do Next.
The scene of an accident is frequently chaotic. There may be long minutes of fear and uncertainty while you wait for help to arrive. Once emergency responders and police take control and try to determine what happened, you will certainly begin to feel the pain and confusion that are common after a car accident.
At Miller, Montiel & Strano, P.C., in Garden City, New York, we know that in the middle of the noise and adrenaline, you may have no idea what to do or how to answer the many questions people are asking. It may help to know beforehand that there are certain actions you can take to minimize further injury and improve your chances of recovery.
Your Health Comes First
If you are badly injured, do not move — wait for help. If you have suffered head, spinal or internal injuries or have broken a bone, unnecessary movement may exacerbate the injury.
However, if you are able to get out of your vehicle safely and move around, there are some steps you can take to protect your right to fair compensation from the insurance company or in the form of a future civil claim against the negligent driver responsible for the accident.
- Stay in a place safe from further injury caused by a secondary collision.
- Gather information such as the names and contact information from witnesses and by taking many pictures of the accident scene and the vehicles involved.
- Get the names, contact information and insurance information of the driver of the other vehicle.
- Seek medical attention for injuries. Your health comes first. Documenting your injury is essential to any future claims you may have.
- Inform your motor vehicle insurance company of the basic details of the accident and your injuries. Obtain your claim number from them. Cooperate with their investigation of the incident.
- Obtain a police report of the accident.
- Follow through on any medical treatment your doctor recommends. Failing to do this may damage any future claim for compensation through the civil courts.
- Contact an attorney for an evaluation of your case. It is always best to contact an attorney before you speak to the insurance company for the negligent driver.
A lawyer by your side can handle all communication with the insurance company. The attorneys at Miller, Montiel & Strano, P.C., have decades of experience dealing with the tactics insurers use to minimize your payout, and they will fight to see that you are treated fairly.
Take The Next Step
The sooner we are involved in your car accident case, the more assistance we can provide you throughout the process. Since the establishment of our law firm, we have obtained millions in successful settlements and verdicts. Call 516-484-4010, or contact us through our online form to see how we can serve you.